Friday, June 29, 2012

Pigment.. Reg Mombassa...











Artist Neil 'Frazer' Frazer, introduced me to Reg a few months back.. Frazer said I would love the character in his face and he was right, Reg said " Well I'm sick of looking at it".

Artist/Musician Reg is a very well known man, his music career spanning 40 odd years, go hand in hand with his iconic art works for Mambo etc..

On meeting Reg at his studio 3 weeks back, Reg was easy to talk to and had the presence of man half his age. Reg made me a coffee and we talked shop, his musical past, flying in light aircraft and how little exercise he does, compared to Frazer, quote "The only exercise I do, is getting in and out of the car"...

Reg has such a strong style with his works of art and on entering his studio space and viewing a few he was working on, it felt I was meeting someone for the first time, that I already knew..

Reg is a very laid back, softly spoken gent, he has a fair few stories up his sleeve and I'm sure I could have heard a few more if I'd hung around.. When I went through Reg's studio to collect pieces to shoot, I spied this fine Fez, a real Fez, not a comedy Fez.. I picked it up and said I had to shoot him in it for his portrait, "Sure" said Reg and here they are...

When he arrived for his portrait Reg wore his usual black jacket and black beanie. He is very comfortable in his own skin I feel, maybe due to his successful career, but he is unstated in his style and manner, but really he is just a nice chap..

When he smiles his face changes quite dramatically, I was stumped for a gag to achieve this smile.. "Just tell me a joke about a monkey, or something".. I didn't have any monkey jokes, but the word monkey, seemed to do the trick..

Hopefully I will get the opportunity to photograph Reg again, down the line..? But I think I'd need to find another great hat for that session..



As always, click on the image to enlarge...


No comments:

Post a Comment