Monday, July 2, 2012

John Waters.. Friend of Friends...








Last Monday my friend Carl Dennis and I got up for the 4.30am screening of the England v Italy Quarter final for the Euro's, which we were watching at a café on Norton Street in Leichhardt, Little Italy.. He said he had to pick his friend John up on route, so at 4.25am Actor John Waters walks out his front door, with a cup of coffee in hand and an England Jester's hat on his head..

Chelsea fan John is obviously a very well known actor on these shores, we got to the café and sat down next to each other, to view the game unfold to agonising penalty shoot out, that England managed to choke once more...

John stars in my wife Sarah's favourite TV program 'Offspring'..

On approaching Sarah Dennis, Carl's wife to ask if I could photograph John, she said there would be no problem and she kindly arranged it for me.. So when I mentioned to my Sarah's mum casually, that a certain Mr Waters would be popping round for a portrait, she went rather weak at the knees..

John came round on Thursday after I'd shot Reg Mombassa, they knew each other, had a quick chat then we got started.. John has worn very well for his years and he has an intensity in his piercing green eyes, that reminds me of Oliver Reed, in his day... We chatted about football, England, where he is originally from, living in London and going to watch his beloved Chelsea as a boy.. Then talk about his work, music career, coffee, families and more football.

We shoot for only 10-15 minutes, John's rugged good looks his trade mark, I think on discussion he was liked by both my wife and her mum, they don't generally have the same tastes...

Afterwards we drop into Flood Street Carousel, as we share a love for good coffee, Cal whipped us up a couple a coffee's and we chatted some more, before my friend Steve arrived. Several people approached John to mention the TV show, then we headed off..

Hopefully John approves of the shots and I hope next time my beloved Liverpool are playing Chelsea, Carl, John and myself get to catch up once more..?


As always, click on the image to enlarge...




No comments:

Post a Comment